THIS IS NOT ->Delawareliberal

CHECK US OUT AT: http://delawareliberal.wordpress.com/

Saturday, August 12, 2006

 

The Confession of a Reformed Ticket Splitter

In response to one of my Daily Kos Diaries on Michael Newbold Castle, "donnas" captures the sentiments of many Delaware Democrats I've spoken to:

Mike Castle used to be a moderate when he was in local politics.

I don't know what's happened to him over the past couple years, but for the first time in my voting life, I'm not going to vote for him... and I told him so recently after receiving a response from him that showed he no longer had the interest of his constituents in mind.

I don't have the letter anymore. I kept the letter for a few months but I recently threw it away in a cleaning fit. Over the past few years he's almost always voted against my beliefs, but that was the only time he bothered to respond to my letters to him.

I write to Biden, Carper and Castle regularly (via e-mail) regarding issues important to me. Carper always responds via e-mail, Biden usually responds -- also via e-mail, but Castle only responded the one time and via a paper letter. (Guess I know where he stands on the environment!)

Honestly, when I saw it was from him, I expected it would be a fundraising letter since he had never bothered to reply before.

I don't know what happened to him, but as the Congress has gone hard-core right over the past few years, he's gone with them. Sadly, he'll probably have no chance of losing in November, even though he's clearly out of touch with Delaware voters these days. I wish he could be "Roth'd" this term -- but maybe it will happen in 2008.

I was always proud of being a ticket splitter because I was voting for the candidate that best reflected my views rather than voting by party without thought to the effect. Like many, I'm getting to the point where it seems better to just vote all Dem and not have to worry that my choice will show ultra-conservative tendencies once he and his party are in a position to do so.

.....

I hear you donna. Castle's recent record of supporting Bush puts the lie to his many years of alleged moderation. Every voter in Delaware who is paying attention feels as though Castle is spitting in their face every time he votes with Bush and the radical right wing of the Republican party.

Comments:
Nancy, I can't get worked up about Chris Coon right now. Sorry.

Cleaning up the house will have to wait until the country is not run by maniacs.

Priorities.
 
Castle is a right winger...?

You really don't know anything about politics, son. You're about as sharp as a bowling ball.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   May 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]