Was I just waxing poetical when I said that the Republican Party had a "racists wing"? I was. It is my blog and I can wax poetical if I so desire. But, does that mean that Republicans are not the party of racism? Let's have a look at the record via Daily kos.
- Nixon’s "Southern Strategy"
- Barry Goldwater's opposition to the Civil Rights Act
- 1960's and 70's migration of Racist Dixiecrats to shelter in the Republican Party
- David Duke's near-win in his 1990 Louisiana campaign for governor
- Infamous race-baiting ad campaigns - Jesse Helms "White Hands" ads and the 1988 "Willie Horton" ads used against Michael Dukakis being the most notorious examples.
- Then Republican Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott's racist comment at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party in 2002
- Excessive immigrant-bashing for political gain, such as California's much-ballyhooed Proposition 187
- Continual race-baiting over the Confederate flag, the most recent, successful example being Georgia in 2002
- Republicans running Haley Barbour in the 2003 Mississippi gubernatorial election
Now, set the timer. First mention of Robert Byrd in the comments will be in 10, 9, 8, 7....