In the last few days this community has commented on energy independence and keeping the Democratic message positive. Why not a positive drive to make us energy independent? At least half of all our ills stem from our thirst for Arab oil. This isn't a novel idea, the Apollo Alliance has been all over this project.
From The Nation's January 2, 2006 issue . . .The Apollo Alliance offers one positive model for reshaping the future. It started from the premise that American politics will not undertake a serious agenda on global warming and alternative energy sources until labor groups and environmentalists come together on the objective. "When Apollo started, political progress on energy was mired in the jobs-versus-environment debate," says Jeff Rickert, Apollo's acting executive director. "In order to break that deadlock, we proposed a new way of thinking--a plan that removed the wedge between environmentalists and labor unions by focusing on the job-creating aspect of a clean-energy investment policy."Packaged and tested with rigorous economic analysis, the Apollo proposal calls for a ten-year, $300 billion investment agenda--federal financing to foster development of alternative fuels, innovative eco firms and energy-conserving reforms in housing, green building codes, transportation and other realms. These investments, analysts estimate, would generate 3.3 million new jobs. One strategist noted a resemblance to John F. Kennedy's moon-landing initiative in the 1960's--an endeavor that also created high-wage skilled jobs and new tech sectors. Overcoming the ecological threat could become this generation's Apollo project. Hence the name.
So let's see . . .
- We could tell the Oil Cartel to go pound sand, they've got plenty of it.
- We could regain our leadership role in the field of technology. This would likely spill over into our educational institutions which would get stronger on maths and science.
- We could create new, on-shore industries with lots of high-paying jobs. This could go a long way toward solving our deficit problem.
- We could do our part to stop global warming and other environmental threats.
- We could really, really piss-off those robber barons who are running the oil companies. Dick Cheney will have a hemorrhage.
- To make it extra sweet, we could partially fund this program with a wind-fall-profits tax on the petroleum industry. Sorry, I'm getting carried away here.
Sounds like a good plank for the Democratic Platform. Energy Independence by 2015!
What do you think?